BICYCLE & PEDESTRIAN ADVISORY COMMISSION
Intent and Purpose
The Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Commission shall assist in the development of comprehensive plans for bikeways within the Village.
The Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Commission consists of seven members, residents of the Village, appointed by the Village President with consent of the Village Board to three-year terms. Members of the Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Commission are:
- Peter Szabo, Chair
- Michael Walczak
- James Daley
- Alan Medsker
- Paul Danko
- Ruth Kee
- Juergen Juffa
The Administrative Liaison for the Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Commission is a member of the Engineering Department, 847/368-5250.
Meetings & Quorum
Regular meetings of the Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Commission are held on the call of the Chair. Four members constitute a quorum.
Bike Arlington Heights
On Saturday, May 9th, the Village of Arlington Heights will host the first of three 2015 Bike Arlington Heights community bicycle rides. Over 200 cyclists joined us for Bike Arlington Heights last year, and this year we expect even more participants. The route covers 15 miles of Arlington Heights bike routes (click here for the route). Please register online or by delivering your registration form to the Village of Arlington Heights Engineering Department. The first 50 registrants to sign up before May 1st will get a free Bike Arlington Heights t-shirt, so be sure to sign up early!
This year, we have only one route. The course will not be closed to automobile traffic, but it is planned to highlight safe streets and trails for biking in Arlington Heights. Fifteen miles is a comfortable distance to travel on a bicycle and the ride is expected to last between one and two hours.
We ask that all minors be accompanied by a parent or guardian, and that any children joining us this Mother's Day weekend either be on a tandem or in a trailer if they have not been on rides of this distance before. Please email Peter Szabo with any questions about the ride. Thank you!
Registration is simple.
- First step is to email your name, address and phone number to Peter Szabo, the Chairman of Arlington Heights’ Bike and Pedestrian Advisory Commission. Also, please email him any questions about the route.
- Second, if you are an adult (18 and over) please fill out this online Release and Indemnification form.
- If you are under the age of 18, please have a parent fill out this online Minor Release and Indemnification form.
- Arlington Heights Bike Swap - Centennial Park, Saturday, April 25, 2015
- Bike Arlington Heights (first of three 2015 rides)
- Ride of Silence - Wednesday, May 13, 2015
- 31st Annual Arlington 500 - Sunday, May 17, 2015
- Bike To Work Week - June, 2015
Additional information regarding these events will be posted as the date nears.