News from the Village of Arlington Heights
Trick or Treat Hours, Halloween Activities
October 4, 2011
The Village of Arlington Heights does not establish a special date and time for “Trick or Treating” in the Village. Halloween is on Monday, October 31, and children are advised to go for Trick or Treating during the late afternoon hours and to visit only the homes with outdoor lights on.
Halloween is a fun time of year but it is important to keep safety in mind. Below are some tips from the Arlington Heights Police Department on how to have a safe and enjoyable Halloween.
- Younger ‘trick or treaters’ should always be accompanied by an adult. Establish neighborhood boundaries and a curfew for older family members.
- Inspect all treats before eating them.
- Costumes should be flame resistant, made of bright or reflective material that does not impede the child's ability to walk.
- Masks that interfere with a child's ability to see can be very dangerous, please make sure that your child can clearly see side to side.
- Cross a street at the corner, preferably in a marked crosswalk. Use a flashlight to increase visibility.
- Unfortunately, some interpret Halloween as a night of mischief. Parents are asked to review acceptable behavior with their children. Know the route your children are taking.
- Take a moment to examine your property for hazards. Remove any unsecured implements that may cause a child to trip and fall.
Other Halloween Activities
The Arlington Heights Park District will host its annual “Trunk or Treat”
event on Friday, October 28, from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. inside the Public Works Garage at the Arlington Heights Public Works building, 222 N. Ridge Ave. Trick or treat from vehicle to vehicle inside the Garage. Businesses and organizations will decorate their vehicles and trunks and provide some "Halloween Handouts." Come in costume, and treat bags will be provided. Children must be accompanied by their parents. There is a cost to participate. For registration details please visit www.ahpd.org.
The annual Downtown Trick or Treat
event will be held on Monday, October 31, from 3- 6 p.m. at participating stores in the Downtown area. Children are encouraged to dress in their costumes for the event. Children should be accompanied by an adult. This event is sponsored by the Arlington Heights Chamber of Commerce.