Current Status on Police Station (continued)
The project goals listed below, stemming from the November 10, 2014 Committee of hge Whole meeting, will drive the direction of the Police Station Project. These goals, reviewed by the Village Board, were based on results culminated from meetings with various divisions of the Police Department that focused on needs for the future, and from meetings held with the Village’s Task Force managing the project plans for the facility. A video of the Board's discussion of these goals can be found following this list.
Goals of the Police Station Project
View the Board discussion regarding the Police Station Goals from its November 10, 2014 Committee of the Whole meeting.
- The primary goal of this part of the process is to determine whether a new Police Station meeting modern day standards can feasibly be developed upon the existing municipal campus.
- Develop a cost-effective solution that maximizes the budget and is not “overdone.” The budget should be less than what was proposed in 2010 which is believed to be too high.
- Understand this is a utilitarian building and this being used 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and needs to stand up to the wear and tear necessary for a police station.
- Ensure duplicity is taken advantage of. Spaces can be shared with the Village Hall if it can be done effectively, i.e. if the building is connected to the Village Hall. Share functional spaced for various functions to the greatest extent possible.
- Develop a solution that is secure. Safety of the officers is paramount. This issue supersedes cost.
- Complement the architecture already on the campus in a cost effective way, while remembering that it is a Police Station. The building needs to be presentable from all sides and the front needs to be complementary to the exiting Village Hall and Fire Station.
- Make sure the police department has a highly functional building where they can do their job efficiently.
- Design the police station to be flexible for future changes.
- Provide adequate workout facilities dedicated to the Police Department.
- Provide a firing range within the police station that is safe, functional and meets the needs of the Department.
- Evaluate the site for maximum benefit and efficiency. The solution should utilize the entire site. Nothing is to be taken as sacred.
- Covered parking should be provided for marked patrol vehicles.
- Maximize the size of the parking garage.
- Explore sustainable and environmentally friendly components at no extra cost and/or explore grant funding sources.